Monday, October 22, 2007

Movie-riffic!

I recently joined Netflix for the first time ever (yes, I am about 8 years behind the times; what of it?). Let me just say, I am loving it. The “watch the movie any time you feel like it without pressure because those stupid late fees” part of it is the best. Now, not having really rented movies in about ten years, and having a husband who hates to go to the theater, would make you think that my queue is full of recent hits.

Not true, though.

I have decided to watch every movie on the American Film Institutes’ Top 100 List; consequently, my “to watch” list is full of classics. Why am I doing this? I’m not sure, really. I think it might be the thrill of hitting a goal (like these two books, however artificial) or the fact that I have been really burnt out on current Hollywood fare for awhile (How many comic books can they make into movies? How many good books can be turned into mediocre movies? How boring and unoriginal can they be?).

So from time to time, I might comment on some of the Top 100 movies that I have watched recently. Thus far we have:

The Good
The Philadelphia Story
All About Eve
The Apartment
Rear Window
Casablanca
The Searchers

The Bad
Duck Soup
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
The Last Picture Show

The So-So
Some Like It Hot
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Bringing Up Baby
It Happened One Night

I have to say, it has been a thrill to actually see John Wayne in a movie (funny that I could recognize a John Wayne impersonation, w/o ever seeing him in a movie until The Searchers!). And who knew that Shirley MacLaine was a cutie before she was a nutter? (Watch The Apartment if you don’t believe me!) I highly recommend any of the movies on The Good list; they really do deserve “classic” status. (And in case you are wondering, I am just skipping around the list and watching them in whatever order I feel like.)

Tonight, the hubby and I are off to the Michigan Theater to see Spartacus. Which is on the list, of course!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't Netflix great that way? I know you can't rent a lot of those movies because the stores only stock "hits". If movies don't get rented, they pull them off the shelves. I went through a classic movie kick too and have to say I liked them so much better than the so-called current blockbusters. Have fun! I'll have to check out the list.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home