Tuesday, May 02, 2006

One of those deadly sins... sorta...

Book Lust

As I am sure is obvious by now, both my hubby and I love to read. Really, really love to read. When we first met, one of the first things we did together was read... and that’s how I knew he was the one for me (well, one of the ways... being a good cook helped, too! LOL)! But the problem, of course, is that books are expensive. I skirt this issue by using the public library as much as possible, but borrowing books just doesn’t feel the same. You have to wait for the ordered book to become available, and then race through it, and if you just don’t feel like reading it at the moment... well, you’re screwed.

So, we are always overjoyed when the library has their “let’s-get-rid-of-all-these-extra-books-that-the-good-people-of-Ann-Arbor-have-donated-to-us” sale. Which they did on Saturday. We were like kids in a candy store ~ or maybe, more appropriately, like two bookish nerds in a library with dirt-cheap prices... :-) Here’s what we got:

The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler
Mr. Timothy by Louis Bayer
Tricky Business by Dave Berry
Kon Tiki: Across the Pacific by Raft by Thor Heyerdahl
Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding
The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus
Second Nature by Alice Hoffman
Duplicate Keys by Jane Smiley
Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi

Tied up in Tinsel by Ngaio Marsh
Photo Finish by Ngaio Marsh
(I can’t remember the third title) by Ngaio Marsh

Plus, my hubby bought 7 Agatha Christie paperbacks....

And guess how much all this cost? Ahhh... that is the beauty of the library book sale... the grand total was $7. Mmm.... less than the cost of a new paperback novel (cue the Beatles song).

Looking at the majority of these books (which are for me, only the Christies are my hubby’s) I am struck by the fact that almost all of them are women authors. Hmmm... I didn’t do that intentionally, but I am not surprised. All of my fave authors are women.

Yarn Lust
Sit-n-Stitch is tonight! Hurray! We have been meeting a bit irregularly lately, as our group is pretty small. If one or two people can’t make it, there goes the meeting. But it sounds like everybody can make it tonight, so it should be fun. I have been making steady progress on the Spider Shrug from a few posts ago. Just made it through the first set of repeats for the first sleeve. Maybe I’ll make enough progress tonight to make taking a picture worthwhile...

3 Comments:

Blogger hi, i'm natalie said...

Lucky girl, you!

Me, I wait for the hand-me-down paperbacks I get from my aunt... she scores them who knows where. It's always a weird mix, too...

Enjoy!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

I love library sales. And I love that library staff gets first crack at the good stuff. Heehee!

12:08 PM  
Blogger LG said...

OMG such a sale! I can´t believe the price! Good for you!
I LOVE Agatha Christie!!!!
And about Bridget Jones Diary, I got two of them at the Hat Swap! I can´t get them here.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home