Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Sigh

Why am I sighing? The great foray into sock knitting is not going well. After countless hours wrestling with size 2 dpns (which are small, people!) and sock yarn (which is not like a good ol’ WW wool, let me tell you...) I was making progress. Sure, it was only about 7 rounds, but enough so I could actually see the ribbing pattern begin to take shape. The dpns were behaving nicely and I was starting to get into a nice little rhythm.

And then I f*&ked it all up.

Because, while admiring my pretty little ribbing pattern, I noticed a dropped stitch from the second round. Out came my Knitting for Dummies book and crochet hook. “Not a problem,” I said. And then a bunch of things happened at once involving yarn and 3 dpns and a hook and trying to figure out if the stitch should have been a knit or purl and to make a long story short.... it became a problem. I then continued knitting.... and realized my ribbing is all goofed up now. As in, K2P2 is now like K4P2 in that one section.

Insert scream of frustration.

I could tink and try and fix it, but given my obsessiveness and the fact that I will probably make it worse, I think scrapping my wee tiny bit of progress and starting over is the way to go. Which is why I am sighing.

Because that wee tiny bit of progress was several hours worth of work.

Maybe I should go back to crocheted snowflakes?

7 Comments:

Blogger Heather Cox said...

I had some sock trauma last year. That sock yarn is now being used for a crochet project. I might try it again someday. Good luck! I hope yours go better than mine.

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think socks are a pretty difficult knit project. I was silly enough to try it for my FIRST knit project. Not pretty. And fixing stitches always looks so easy when someone demonstrates it, but let a newbie like me try and things get pretty wild. Your sock will have it's day!

11:35 AM  
Blogger sara said...

Do not quit! I repeat: do not quit! I know how frustrating it is (I've managed a pair of socks on dpns...ok, tube socks, but still) Also, invest in "Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles" by Cat Bhordi (sp?) and Magic Loop available through Fiber trends. You'll never need dpns again...but I still use them when I want to show off *grin*

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how I hate to frog too! Good luck on your sock project. Socks, whether knit or crochet, seem very difficult! I'm not sure I'm brave enough and admire people that attempt them! Your way ahead of me!

1:58 AM  
Blogger LG said...

Oh, I´m sorry... Frogging after so much work...
Try again! Don´t quit!

2:11 PM  
Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Nah, keep going. Just put your knitting aside for a few and do something else. That's what I do. I frog it and leave it for a time, pick up something else to work on, then come back to it. Then I can handle it. Oh, and I always have both a knitting and a crochet project going simultaneously to combat frustration and boredom...

8:17 PM  
Blogger misplacedpom said...

I had exactly the same trauma knitting my first sock, the dropped stitches, the wonky wandering ribbing. But I persevered, made three matching socks and kept the first really dodgy one around as a reminder of how much progress I'd made. Once you get the hang of the toothpicks (as I like to call them) they'll be no stopping you, promise!

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home