Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Good books are out there, too

I realized today that I haven’t posted anything about my current reads (since my scathing review of Teacher Man). Amazing how it is so much easier to write nasty rather than nice things, isn’t? I have read several very good books since then and just haven’t felt motivated enough to sing their praises. So here they are.

The Subtle Knife, by Phillip Pullman (Book two in His Dark Materials trilogy)

I am thoroughly convinced now that these books aren’t for kids. Pullman may use simple language and have children as protagonists, but this mixture of science, religion, fantasy, and adventure should be read by adults. In fact, I am not even sure your typical 12-year-old would really get the overarching story line of “fighting against the creator” to right the wrongs of original creation (Though, I don’t know any 12-year-olds, so correct me if I am wrong.). I, however, loved this installment in this series and can’t wait to read the final book. (I hope the armored polar bear is in the last one! I loved him and he wasn’t in TSK.)

Mr. Timothy, by Louis Bayard

I have a real weakness for historic fiction. I also love stories that tell you the “rest” of the story which isn’t covered in the original novel (like Wide Sargasso Sea does for Jane Eyre). Mr. Timothy combines both of these happy-making aspects.... it follows up on Tiny Tim from Dickens’ A Christmas Carol in 1850s London. Timothy is a grown man, struggling with his own “ghosts” and trying to do what is right in morally foggy London. The murder/mystery aspect of the story is gripping (although at times I felt like I was watching an action movie, as some of the chase scenes were spelled out in agonizing detail) but it is Timothy’s strides to make something of himself that really give this book heart. I liked it and was cheering him on through the whole tale.

I am currently reading Never Let Me Go and am nearing the end. I'll save that one to discuss for another day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you’re looking for a good page-turner, read The Delta Project by Mark Earnest. I just finished reading it and I couldn't put it down. It’s a new mystery / thriller that weaves together two plots: a detective trying to solve a mystery of dead and disappearing bodies; and a post 9/11 military conspiracy. How they come together will blow you away! I didn't want it to end. It kept me guessing and wanting more.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

I had a chance to hear Phillip Pullman read from The Amber Spyglass (is that the last one? --I have yet to read it, too) at ABA about 4 years ago. The polar bear is back! And, if you don't mind audio books -- AND if he is the reader -- they'd be worth a listen. He's mesmerizing.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home