Friday, November 18, 2005

Another non-crocheting post

Mostly because I have made zero progress on any project for the last two weeks... *sigh* Hopefully, I will get a ton done this weekend, as we have no major plans (except cleaning the house, and shopping for Thanksgiving dinner supplies, and possible seeing this movie...)

Anywho. I had registered my book club at ReadingGroupGuides a few months ago, lured mainly by their promise of free goodies. I have yet to see any... but look at this offer I got in my email yesterday! A FREE Senseo coffee machine with 18 coffee pods. “There has to be a catch,” I thought. Like, it is free when you purchase $100 worth of coffee or something. But I clicked on the link and was shocked to see that no... it really was free. I just had to fill out a form with my address and promise that I would use it at my next book club meeting. Done and done! So I will be watching my mail over the next few weeks to see if this little bad boy actually arrives...

Speaking of freebies, I never did get my Bernat Disco that I signed up for. I can’t say that I am crushed, but hey, it was free! And I like freebies! (Now you all are thinking, she is so cheap! We call it frugal in my house.)

Back to book chatter. You may have noticed that “The Drowning Tree” dropped from my Present list and yet never made it to the Past list. That’s because I didn’t finish it... but I don’t feel guilty about it this time. I had set it aside to finish up another book, and realized that after just two days away, I couldn’t care less who the murderer was. So I would not recommend it (needless to say!). I am about 100 pages into Dr. Zhivago. I am enjoying the picture of early 20th century Russian life that is emerging, but find the author’s curious “hands off” attitude towards his characters a bit difficult. At times, Pasternak almost writes like he is reciting events in the order they occurred and that he is leaving it up to the reader to fill in the blanks of character thought, etc. I am not sure if this is due to the translation from Russian or if it is how the book was written. But it is certainly one of the more interesting books our club has picked and will probably spark some good discussion.

And with that, I am out. Wish me luck on actually getting some crocheting done this weekend!

6 Comments:

Blogger Katherine said...

I never got my Bernat Disco, either. Not that I'm losing sleep over it, as it's Bernat Disco.

3:20 PM  
Blogger DAWN said...

I didn't even order any Disco and I got some? go figure.
We are going to see "Walk the Line" this weekend. We may even tackle the Harry Potter movie with the young ones on Sunday.
~ DAWN

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The movie looks interesting; both Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix are wonderful actors. J. Cash is such a country music icon. Enjoy it!

I will avoid Drowning Tree! If an avid reader won't finish it then I won't start it!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Katherine said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

(The banner at the top of your page is such a lovely reminder of the looming lack of time in which to make presents. Sigh. But it sure is cute!)

9:07 PM  
Blogger Tracey said...

Don't worry about the Disco... I got it in poo-poo brown. I have no idea what I'll use it for. LOL.

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your coffee pot! (I know this is the old post, but I think I missed the original post!) :) Also - as for the Disco, I'm sure you'll EVENTUALLY get it. My mom lives down the street from me, and she got it about a month before I got mine... it came in brown.. which is kind of oogly, but someone on one of my knitting lists found a hedgehog pattern to make with it ! lol. i also might stripe it with some burgundy disco I got for my bday & make a funky scarf out of it. :) i saw some ppl getting teal or blue, too. and my friend, who lives by our work, is still waiting on hers...so it's slow going, but hey, as you said - it's free! ;)

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home