Friday, November 04, 2005

Of Cabbages and Kings

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."*


And that’s about as “poetical” as I get! But it does cover the fact that this is going to be a random “shoes and ships and sealing wax” type of post...

Number 1. I have been debating and delaying on this decision for awhile... but I think I am going to try and start a “Sit and Stitch” here in Ann Arbor. I had really hoped to find a pre-existing one to join because a) I already run my book club and b) as a newbie crocheter I do not feel qualified to be starting a group! But I have looked and looked and looked for a group and all I can find are knitting groups. And though I want to learn to knit (gasp! I am such a traitor!) and may join one of these groups eventually, I know for a fact that none of the ladies in either AA group crochet (or at least, they don’t admit to it!). So it wouldn’t be very supportive or fun for me. So. I am going to post this in a few groups/boards, but if you are in the Ann Arbor area, or know somebody who is, please let me know if you are interested!! I need to see how much of a response I get, but I would like the group to meet either Tuesday or Wednesday night, maybe every other week.

Number 2. I finished Broken For You. My conclusion-jumping from my last post was correct. It ended in such a ludicrous manner (Spoiler alert, don’t read if you intend on reading book: long-last dad and daughter reunited and living under the same roof, all by chance. Nazi concentration camp survivor traced across time and the world based on a tea set. BAA- HUMBUG, I say!) that it really soured my positive opinions about other aspects of the story. For instance, the themes of redemption and family by chance were powerful and gracefully handled... but, honestly, the cheesy Hollywood-ish nature of the plot was just too much. I am very curious as to what my book club will have to say about it. We’ll see on Sunday.

Number 3. A co-worker lent me this book:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Which is free verse poetry about a cat named Boris. It took about 15 minutes to read, but I really enjoyed it. The author did a nice job of capturing both the mystery and allure of cats in general and Boris in particular, along with drawing parallels to her own life.

Number 4. Finally, some crochet-related content! I finally put straps on the Well-Traveled Bag and it looks sweet! I also picked up some new yarn to replace the non-conforming yarn in the block afghan (see my last post; thanks to all who advised!). I now have three blocks done out of 35... Oy! Also, I am finally going to start on one of the scarves from the Vogue Scarf book that my Secret Pal gifted to me (Hi there, Secret Pal! Hope all is well with you!)... hopefully I will have some pictures of progress on Sunday.

And that’s it folks!

*See this link if you would like to read the whole poem.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck starting your stitch group! It's a lot of work to get going but I'm sure the 'group-ees' will be glad you did.

I must find the Boris book. Reading a few pages on amazon has me curious!

12:46 PM  
Blogger DAWN said...

Congrats on the handles! and I wish you good luck with the sit n stitch. I think it is a good idea and will be a hit. I personally have always loved "Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll, my beamish girl.
~ DAWN

1:20 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

Good luck starting your SnB/SnS group! I started mine after teaching crochet classes at the local library... maybe that might be a good place to advertise for your group.

Yeeha!

11:42 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Love the SnS group idea. I like you have wanted a group dedicated to crochet, but could not find one locally. Or at least not one that didn't meet in the middle of the week day when I am at work. I would be all for it. I have seen knitting groups here in AA at Panera before, so that might be a good spot. Please keep me posted. My email is jenblackwell2@gmail.com

Thanks
JC

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home