Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Mom + crafts = ???

Wow -- my internet connection is horrible tonight! I hope nothing happens (i.e., the cyber black hole strikes again) because I actually have pictures to share. Oh! Aw!

Picture #1: The coasters I made with my mom over the weekend. She went to a class to learn how to make tile coasters. I thought she meant like mosaic tile. You know, where you smash up glass and plates and glue them back together. :-) Turns out, these coasters you keep the tile whole (shucks!) and glue/shellac images to them. My mom fell in love with the technique. Me, I'm not so crazy about it. As you can see from the picture, this type of craft highlights everything I suck at in the crafty world. You know, cutting in a straight line, sharp creases in paper, getting it right the first time (no frogging here!)... So here is my slightly pathetic set of 4 coasters. Try not to look too closely at the corners! I do love the pictures, though.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Picture #2: My mom has knit and crocheted for years. She taught me both years ago, when they were uncool, and I promptly forgot how to do both! :-) And am just now relearning. But, being the kind woman that she is, she lent me a big stack of her old magazines and books, ranging from the late 70s to the early 90s. Here is, by far, the best cover:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Picture #3: And from this lovely little book, take a look at these outfits! A family friend tried to convince me these were back in style. My response? Maybe for somebody else, but not for me!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Picture #4: Is also from a 70s-era crochet magazine. I love it because my mom made this afghan. I mean, same colors and everything. When I flipped through and saw this pic, I had flashbacks to my childhood (complete with avocado green and gold furnishings!).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Picture #5: Because my mom rocks, she also gave me a bag of old yarn. A little bit of fun fur, some chenille, some wool... woo-hoo!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Moms can be pretty wonderful.

EDIT: For some reason, my pictures are blurry and huge. I don't feel like fixing them now... sorry!

2 Comments:

Blogger Katherine said...

I just love the word "shellac." It's so expressive.

Kudos on the yarn haul. Hand-me-down yarn rules.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the yarn haul. Crafty mom's rule. My mom gave me like, 2-3 garbage bags full of yarn a few months ago. Unfortunately, I've become a yarn snob, and it's all acrylic, which I have next to no use for. lol. Charity knitting, here I come!
-your secret pal

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home