Friday, February 10, 2006

Dia daoibh! (Translation: Hi There!)

I finished “The Golden Compass” by Phillip Pullman. I cannot say enough about this book. I thought it was one of the best books I have read in a long time, even if it is a “kids” book. This review from Amazon.com pretty much sums up the reason why:

“In The Golden Compass, Philip Pullman has written a masterpiece that transcends genre. It is a children's book that will appeal to adults, a fantasy novel that will charm even the most hardened realist. Best of all, the author doesn't speak down to his audience, nor does he pull his punches; there is genuine terror in this book, and heartbreak, betrayal, and loss. There is also love, loyalty, and an abiding morality that infuses the story but never overwhelms it. This is one of those rare novels that one wishes would never end.”

It’s true… I wish it hadn’t ended! And am itching to start the next book in the series!

Not much progress to report on craft-wise. I have been working on this shrug for about a week… and I am not really enjoying it. This is partly my fault, and partly the pattern’s. My share of the blame is that I am not crazy about the yarn I picked. It is a bulky black boucle by Ironstone that I am pretty sure is too bulky for the pattern. Of course, I can’t be sure, because the pattern just says boucle for yarn used. No weights, no suggested yarns, nothin’. So I guessed and am now wrinkling my nose at the way the yarn looks as a shrug everytime I crochet! LOL But the main reason I am not enjoying this pattern is that the pattern is just not very explicit. No bust measurements, no “now reverse the right side to make the left side,” no details on how I am supposed to know where the heck to stop seaming the shoulders at! Ggrrgggh. I have been figuring it out as I go, but as this is my first piece of clothing, I had really hoped for directions that were a bit more clear!!

Oh well. Enough of my griping! (And a loud cheer erupts from the readers!) So, on to happy things… like… I am going to Ireland on Monday! Hopefully, this is what we will be seeing:
Image hosting by Photobucket

I am so excited, it isn’t even funny! I have been in Dublin and Northern Ireland several times, but have never seen much of the countryside. So this time, we are visitng Cork and doing a nice long drive along the coast…mmm…. Scenery-rific. (And yes, I picked this pic of Kerry because of the sheep in it!) And this will be my hubby’s first visit to the country, AND I will be visiting some very dear friends that I haven’t seen in awhile, AND not working for a week and a half, AND… I think I have short-circuited!Hope ya all have a great couple of weeks…Slan go foill!

3 Comments:

Blogger DAWN said...

I bought that same pattern. Started it, threw the yarn and the pattern across the room and haven't looked back. But that is just me.
I hope you have the best time on your Trip. I am totally envious. Would you mind if I ask a favor. . . would you be willing to send me a post card while you are over there? If so, just email me and I'll email you my address.
:)DAWN

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like pattern directions for clothing should be very specific! It's certainly a cute shrug if you can ever get it going.
Have a wonderful time in Ireland! Sounds incredibly fun! :)

3:55 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

Have a lovely time in Ireland! Say hello and thank you to the sheep!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home