Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Odds and Ends

I finished my February Granny Square for the swap at Crochetville. It should go in the mail today... but I didn't take a pic of it! Oops! I had some measuring issues near the end (apparently, I can't read a tape measure correctly and ended up with a 13" square. GACK! There was a little frogging involved.) but fixed everything and it looks pretty darn good (if I do say so myself!).

We had book club on Sunday and talked about The Great Fire by Shirley Hazzard. The group was split pretty evenly on whether they enjoyed the book or not; I was in the "yes, it grew on me" camp. I can see how people would NOT like it, though. The dialogue reads like a 1940s movie... which isn't really a good thing. But Hazzard's ability to turn a descriptive phrase into a symbol for something more is often pretty impressive. And the novel offers an interesting insight into post-war Japan which I hadn't read much about. So I would give this book... hmm... maybe a B-? We have been in a bit of a reading rut lately in the old bc, so I am hoping our next book, The History of Love, will be a hit.

Back to yarn chatter... we have Sit-n-Stitch tonight, so that is exciting. Maybe I can finally work on my shrug. I bought the yarn like two weeks ago, but became distracted by the granny square, and then by knitting the dishcloth, and then by reading for book club... I just have too many hobbies! LOL

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many hobbies but good hobbies! Have fun at your meeting tonight. :)

4:46 PM  
Blogger DAWN said...

I know what you mean about too many hobbies. It is hard to choose on a daily basis which one get the attention. I always feel like I'm missing out on one or the other.
~ DAWN

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home