Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The zen scarf

... as seen in CrochetMe's Winter issue. I really like the way this scarf turned out, especially after it was blocked. My only quibble (and this is pretty minor) is that the article talks this up as a quick crochet... and I didn't think it was. I have never found it easy to crochet into chains, and there are a LOT of chains in this scarf! But as the end result is so pretty (and I was in no rush anyway) I will let the time factor slide. :-)

And here is a bit of a close-up of the yarn. I LOVE (read: adore, want to marry, and have its kids) this stuff. The color shifts are so subtle and the texture so... wooly. I guess that is the only way to describe it!

So, the major disappoinment of the day is that I was supposed to meet with up some of my normal Sit-n-Stitchers in an "off week" mini-meet type thing. And woke up today feeling lousy. And went to work feeling lousy. And finally left work early feeling lousy. So I did not go, but instead tried to recoup on the couch by watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (it didn't really work, I still feel lousy!). But, I was cheered up when I came home and saw my purty flowers a-blooming! My MIL bought me one of those bulb kit boxes for Christmas and it has really turned out well:

I could actually see the flowers as I drove up to the house! But I am rotten with flowers... can anybody tell me what the heck these are?

I think I am going to curl up in bed now and think "non-flu-ish" thoughts... good night, all!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an Amaryllis flower. You can rebllom it next year by letting it grow outside once weather is warm. Feed and water regularly. Then in September or so (in East Tennessee anyway) stop watering. Wait at least 1 month then bring back into light and when you see growth start watering.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Chatty said...

I live in Mississippi and have my Amaryllis planted in the yard. They come back gorgeous year after year, usually in early summer. The bulbs are huge and you have to plant them pretty deep. Mine are mostly white with pink stripes. You'll usually get multiple blooms from one stem, all around the top and boy are they gorgeous when they multiply into a big clump :D

Love that scarf too.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

The flower is lovely, but I know nothing about flowers!! I wish you felt better, we definately missed you. We had a new comer from Farmington hills last night. She may come to A2 with Dawn and I next week. Your scarf turned out great! Of course I knew it would. Have you checked out the yarn shop on S. Industrial for that yarn? I could look next time I'm in. Or maybe the awesome little shop in Plymouth. Get well soon!

JC

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That flower is beautiful. I hope your feeling better soon. Here
everybody is getting sick.Except
for me I don't know why.That's
better for me. I really like that
scarf, it came out great.Are you
getting a cold.maybe you might try
the tea Theraflu with some honey
that really works for my family, maybe it might work for you.Btw,
do you like the color red

10:38 AM  
Blogger LinknKnits said...

AngelFairy,

Thanks for the concern ~ I might try some TheraFlu this evening. And yes... I love red... one of my fave colors!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Katherine said...

The scarf is beautiful, and the picture is lovely... showing the light coming through.

Hope you feel better soon!

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The scarf is gorgeous!! The color is beautiful. <3 I hope you're feeling better soon! Everyone has already said the flower is an amaryllis. What you do with it now, I don't know! If flowers can't just survive and 'be' in my home, they don't belong there! I have no skill with plants!
Hope you're feeling better soon! Nasty colds and flus are going around everywhere!

11:46 AM  
Blogger LG said...

I love the scarf and I adore this flower!!!

Have you tried honey with lemon? (fresh lemon juice, not from the bottle!) You mix both and trink it slowly.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Love the scarf - very pretty!! What kind of wool was it?

I hope that you feel better soon! It seems like everyone is getting sick right now - must be that time of the year!

9:58 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

I love your scarf, too. I used to live in Ann Arbor! We just moved to Colorado, though. I would have loved to meet up with some other crocheters/knitters. Oh well. ;) I hope you feel better soon. If you have what I just had, it is bad. I was out of commission for about five days. And NyQuil did not help. So try something else. Beautiful Amaryllis!!

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home