Thursday, December 29, 2005

Help Me Spend My Gift Cards!

Do you have a crocheting or knitting book that changed your life? Ok, maybe not changed your life, but at least one that you would strongly recommend? One that has beautiful patterns, easy instructions (especially if it is knitting!), or just awesome ideas? Then tell me about them! I received an obscene amount of gift cards to Borders/Barnes&Noble/Amazon this year for Christmas. Normally, I would run to the store with my “must read” fiction list in hand and have a field day. But, I also received quite a few books this year... and I hate to admit it, but my reading has really slowed down since I started crocheting! As in, the 12 books I have stacked up at home will last me quite a while! So, I would like to spend my holiday joy on my new hobby, but am curious as to what everybody’s faves are. Now, keep in mind that I already own: Hooked on Crochet by Candi Jensen, Vogue Crocheted Scarves On the Go, Knitting for Dummies, and the Crocheter’s Companion. I do not have kids or even nieces or nephews, so children-specific books are not my thing. I am already considering getting either The Encyclopedia of Crochet or The Crochet Stitch Bible (which is better?). And I am just learning to knit... so nothing that will make me want to pull my hair out! Finally, they have to be books that I can purchase at a bookstore, and not at a craftstore. So, with all those caveats and restrictions, there should be about one book left, right? :-) Seriously, I would love to hear what my fellow crochet- and beginner-knitter-bloggers have to say about this! Those gift cards are burning a hole in my pocket....

10 Comments:

Blogger Tandi said...

I would definitely recommend Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet. There are some awesome patterns and tips in there and it touches on everything, regular stuff, doilies, socks, wire and bead crochet, I am very impressed.
I have checked out her Encyc. of knitting too and it looks pretty good, however, that is a bit above my menial knitting skill level. I've also heard good things about The Knitter's Companion, a little flip book that looks pretty portable. Hope you find something great!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Tandi said...

Oh, one more thing, I would not recommend Simple Crochet or Felted Crochet, they are both new and, in my opinion, not worth the money.

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, i don't know jack about crochet, but when I had to reteach myself knitting (after a few months of not knitting & forgetting how to start), I picked up Stitch 'n Bitch by Debbie Stoller. It has patterns & is also kind of fun, and the pictures in the book are sort of what helped me the most. :) Don't know if that helps or not, but yay for gift cards. hehe :)

4:55 PM  
Blogger LG said...

Shops here don´t have those gift certificates, what a great idea!!!
I love Barnes & Noble!

5:10 PM  
Blogger DAWN said...

First of all, thank you for getting rid of the scrolling screens (you've made me very happy). Now, the Encyclopedia of Crochet is awesome!! you cannot go wrong with it and my next fav is Crocheting School A Complet Course. You will learn tips and techneques you never thought of, I swear; bonus the pictures are crystal clear!
I too have neglected my reading this past year and even though I love me some crochet, I need the mental stimulation. I guess it will be a resolution or something.
~ DAWN

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, I don't really have a favorite book and I'm not sure if these are available in B&N but how about the Crochet Pattern a Day calendar? There's a bunch of patterns in there from C'ville folks which makes it interesting. I'm definitely going to make the Crochet Dude's flying afghan. There's also a pattern a day calendar for knitting too but I don't have that one so can't speak for it. Anyway, have fun with those cards! :)

8:20 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

I second the cheer for Encyc. of Crochet (and Kooler's Encyc. of Knitting, too). Great for the basics. How to Knit by Debbie Bliss is another good one, really walks you though the techniques (from casting on to entrelac). I'm also a big fan of Stitch-n-Bitch because I love Stoller's real-speak approach. Not the greatest illustrations (go to Bliss or Kooler for those), but excellent easy-to-read instructions.

Now that my sales pitch is over... it must be blog-face changing week! :)

8:52 PM  
Blogger LG said...

Happy New Year 2006!!!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

how luck are you...:-)
happy shopping...

3:46 PM  
Blogger Jewels said...

I too would definitely recommend Donna Kooler's Encyc of Crochet. I got it for a birthday gift and love it.

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home