Monday, December 19, 2005

Three things

First off, thanks for the kind words on the Mohair Monster. I don't feel quite as bad about giving it as a gift now that ya'll say it looks ok!

Second, has anybody else made the great leap into sock crocheting? I am nearly to the heel of my First Sock (not to be confused with the First First Sock, where I didn't make it pass the cuff!). I really like it, but it is slow going. Why? Because I am using a size D hook and sock yarn is pretty darn thin! I started with the first pattern in this book, which is billed as being easy. It is ~ but it is also a learning experience. Thus far, I have learned the Double Crochet Foundation Row (And really, how cool is this? Once I eventually figured it out, I fell in love with it. Your foundation chain and the first row of dcs -- at the same time. Love it!), Front- and Back-Post Double Crochets (I admit, I had been afraid to try these before. I have no idea why, they are soooo easy.), and the Extended Single Crochet (scroll down the page to see instructions). All for about one-half of one sock. If I actually finish the sock AND it actually fits, I will be patting myself pretty strongly on my back. (That sentence sounds awkward, but I don't feel like fixing it. That's what happens when you are an editor for a living. You don't bother to correct your own writing when you are on your lunch hour!)

ANYWAYS. Lastly, I have a small confession to make. My family exchanged Christmas gifts on Saturday (since I will be out of town with my hubby's family on the big day) and my mom bought me something I had been hoping for... (click for gift)...

*ssshhhhh* Don't tell anybody!!! :-)

4 Comments:

Blogger DAWN said...

Oooh, nice gift, mom.
I have not made a sock (I like elastic and I just think I would constantly feel like I need to pull them up).
The dc foundation row IS cool. Especially if you are working with a hard to see yarn (like LB homespun).
~ DAWN

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tee hee. had I known, I'd have gifted you with some how-to-knit books! ;)

4:20 PM  
Blogger LG said...

Nice gift from your mum! ***
Oh, don't ask about socks, please! As I told you, I've never tried! You'll teach me! ***

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't tied socks yet! Looked at some directions and decided against that venture for now! Maybe some day!

Congrats on learning all those spiffy new stitches! :)

Great gift from you mom! (You blog has a new background, yes? Looks good!)

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home