Wednesday, January 18, 2006

No fun with captions today!

Because, as you may have noticed, this is an all text post. Yikes! Don’t run away ~ keep reading! I promise it will be interesting. Ok, maybe not fascinating, nail-biting-intense interesting, but moderately ok. Okay, it will only be interesting if you are insane like me and are completely obsessed with all things yarn-related. Jeez!

So. Item number one, on the yarn-craziness list. I was unexpectedly in CT over the weekend for my husband’s grandmother’s funeral. It was a very stressful and sad time, as you all can imagine, but the super thing that happened was that on Saturday afternoon we had a bit of spare time. My hubby’s aunt is a bit of a crocheter and remembered that I was, so she insisted that we visit their LYS, Hither & Yarn. It was adorable and stocked to the brim with cool yarn. I decided that I would buy yarn to commemorate my trip... so picked up two skeins of New England Sheep Farm’s wool and wool/angora mix. One is in a blue colorway and the other in a light pink/green/cream mix. Both are lovely. I have earmarked them to make scarves for my Irish pal that I will be staying with next month when we visit. I can’t wait to use it.

Item number two. I took my first Knit class at Joann’s last night. It was actually less of a class and more of a tutorial, as there was only one other student present! Which was fine by me, because the teacher (who was great) sat right between us and watched and was able to spot mistakes before we got too far along. I learned to cast on, knit, purl, and even do a little cabling. It was fun and I actually didn’t have any problems with it (Hurray! Because, truthfully, I was terrified! Knitting seemed so completely alien, like speaking Swahili or something.) The part of the class that WAS a little irritating, was that besides paying for the class, Joann’s required that you buy the Lion Brand Knit Kit... which was $24 for two balls of yarn and one set of needles. And the yarn only came in one ugly color. growl. Oh well, I am just counting it as an extension of my Christmas present from my hubby (who signed me up for the class) and letting it go. So, I was hugely excited about knitting and came home last night and immediately cast on for a dishcloth. If it turns out, I will post a pic (Maybe even with a caption. I love my captions.)!

Item number three (and four and five). I am 99.9% finished with my hat for the hat swap. Just one little finishing touch needs to be added, which I will do tonight. I started my second snowflake and it is much prettier than the first. And I am seriously considering crocheting myself this sweater. Yes, I know it is a sweater dress, but I plan on stopping at the waist. What do you all think? And do you have any yarn recommendations? I need a worsted weight wool... I am thinking Cascade?

5 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I am very glad you enjoyed your knitting class! Sorry about the terrible color.( For the price they should at least allow you to pick out your own.) The hat you were sent, by the way, looks great! I found some felted had pattens and thought of you, but now I can't remember where they were. I think the sweater would be great! If you stop at the waist will you still add the decorative bottom part?

I am sorry to hear about your husbands grandmother.

JC

11:12 PM  
Blogger DAWN said...

Another snowflake, yah!
That is always the draw back about taking a class at a place that sells yarn. It always comes down to lining the pocket. Glad it was a cool experience for you, though.
That Sweater will look sweet!
Sorry to hear about the grandmother.
~ DAWN

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a successful knitting class even though you had to buy the yucky yarn. Good luck on your scarves!
I like the sweater idea - looks nice!

1:40 PM  
Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Cascade 220 is my absolute FAVORITE wool! The fibers are always consistent and there are a gazillion colors. Highly recommended by me!

4:50 PM  
Blogger LG said...

You´ll love knitting!!! Keep on going!
I`ve checked the sweater-dress and I like it very much, whether shorter as a sweater or longer as a dress!

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home